MISS VIRGIN ISLANDS 2012

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

After you've been given..GIVE BACK!

I was recently asked to be apart of an amazing series of events this past weekend. Jabari Blash, a top tier league baseball player for the Seattle Mariners is by all accounts, a picture perfect example of what hard work and dedication can become. He is from St. Thomas and decided to hold baseball clinic free of charge for local little league players, on the islands of St. Thomas and St. Croix. Eight major and minor league players visited our territory to be apart of this great effort. It began this past Friday night, when a welcome was held for these amazing players at the Kokopelli Cafe. They, as well as myself, and other Virgin Island title holders were invited to meet and interact with children and parents of the community. We had a blast! Everyone was so welcoming of them and I'm sure they can't wait to come back. 

It was so humbling that I was welcomed to be apart of such a positive event. I was the "Head Face Painter" of the day and I was able to interact with both boys and girls attending the clinic. I'm always afraid to do face painting, if you get it wrong, BE PREPARED! They will let you no, and three children later, they'll be in line for you to get it right! But I definitely had an amazing time, I did hearts, cheetahs, dogs, roses, you name it, I did it. Just Call me Miss "Artistica" (I hope that was as full of  "whitty" as I thought it was.)                                      I made two best friends at the end of the day. That's the part I enjoy most about interacting with children. They are so easy to understand and relate to. They aren't yet confused by the things around them, they are still, simply enjoying it. It's a beautiful thing to see. All, in all the events spanning over the entire weekend, were a huge success. It's amazing to see so many of these young men that  have achieved so much, give back without having to be asked. I am extremely thankful that there is now an outlet for our young men, that teaches more than just the basics of baseball, it teaches the importance of dedication and discipline. Most of all, I am so extremely humbled to know that I was blessed with the opportunity to be involved in something so positive. So, remember that it is extremely important to give back, after you've been given!

No comments:

Post a Comment