MISS VIRGIN ISLANDS 2012

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pre-K Reading Visit


Growing up, I was always told that it takes a village to raise a child. Luckily, I'm so connected to two "villages." Although I was raised for most of my life in the Virgin Islands, I was born and spent a significant amount of time in Houston, Texas. That has allowed me to acquire values from around the country. This country has done so much and has played such a vital role in the woman I've become. So although, I continuously promote my platform, I also give back to those that may not be directly affected by my platform.

I was invited to read to a pre-kindergarten class this past week. What an amazing time we all had. I've worked with little ones before, but with each new group is a new experience. We read about the "Things Mommies and Daddies do Best." So attentive they were, but they also asserted any views that they might have had to go along with the story. This is the part of my job as Miss Virgin Islands that I love the most I am able to play a part in their lives. When my title is gone, why impact will still remain. That, above all, is most important.


I've always thought that those younger than us are the most important. They keep us pure at heart and they push us all to make this world a better place for them. They show us that acceptance truly isn't based on anything but that which lies within. I'm sure I taught them a few things that day, but as always they taught me so much more.
     
"Every child comes with a message that God is not yet discouraged by man"
-Rabindranath Tagore

No comments:

Post a Comment